Safely storing flammable liquids

One cause of household fires is improper storage of flammable liquids. Did you know that liquids such as paint thinner, gasoline, cleaning solvents and contact cement can produce invisible, explosive vapors? These vapors can catch fire or explode if exposed to a flame or small spark—even at considerable distances from the flammable substances. Flammable liquids or combustible material need to be kept away from your furnace, water heater, vent pipe or any ignition source. When you use flammable liquids, do so in open, well-ventilated areas, far away from any possible source of ignition.

Here are some tips for properly storing flammable liquids:

Taking these extra precautions ensures everyone’s safety.

For more safety tips, visit

Call 811 Before You Dig


  1. Safety