Energy and Payment Assistance
We know times are tough and you may need extra support.
We have options. From bill payment options to our community agency partners, there are a variety of programs that can help. Please reach out to us to discuss your situation.
Ways to Connect with Us
- Call (800) 227-9187
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Direct message on Facebook.com/AvistaUtilities
Energy Assistance Funds Available
- Emergency/Hardship Grants
- Low Income Energy Rate Assistance
- Senior/Disabled Rate Discount (WA only)
To see if you qualify, find your local community action agency and then give them a call.
You can get help with weatherization, heating system improvements, and financial assistance.
Avista funds the local agencies through LIRAP, a low income rate assistance program. LIHEAP, a federally funded program, can help as well.
Oregon Energy Assistance
You can reach us to report outages or natural gas odors, make payments and conduct additional business in a number of ways, including:
- Online at myavista.com
- Mobile app: Download our mobile app
- Phone: (800) 227-9187
- Report outages by text: text OUT to AVISTA (284-782)
- Pay by text: text PAY to AVISTA (284-782)
- Pay stations: Find a pay station. Please note, these are individual businesses and subject to closure. Confirm availability before you visit.
- Pay by Mail: Avista Utilities
1411 E. Mission Ave
Spokane, WA 99252-0001
Our new online emergency payment arrangements tool allows you to choose a payment plan that works best for you and can include applying an existing deposit, if applicable. Sign in and make arrangements.
Other energy assistance options
What it is: Project Share provides emergency energy assistance grants to individuals and families (anyone, not just Avista customers) to help them stay warm and safe through unexpected emergencies or hardships.
How it helps: Recipients can use the grant to heat their homes with any type of fuel, including natural gas, electricity, propane, wood, and coal.
You can help, too.
One hundred percent of every dollar donated is forwarded to Community Action Agencies for distribution to those who qualify.
- One-time donation: You can make a one-time Project Share donation directly at Give to Project Share. Give as many times as you like; you choose when and how much.
- With a pledge: If you wish to contribute the same amount every month, the Project Share Pledge is the way to go. As a reminder, we'll include your pledge on your monthly Avista statement.
- Send a separate check to Project Share, PO Box 3727, Spokane, WA 99220.
To learn more, visit Give to Project Share. We'll send the full amount directly to the community action agencies that distribute the funds to our community's most vulnerable members.
What it is: A series of programs that help ensure no senior has to choose paying bills over food or medicine.
How it works: If you're a senior citizen living on a fixed income (or if you know someone), Avista Senior Outreach can help you cover your energy bills when your budget can't do it all. Options for seniors include:
Billing and Payment Options
- Comfort Level Billing Divide your yearly usage into 12 equal monthly payments. To determine your amount, we'll apply this year's energy prices to your energy usage over the past year. Then we just divide it into 12 equal amounts. To qualify, your account must be in good standing with at least 12 months of usage history.
- Payment Arrangements Find out if you qualify for a special payment arrangement.
- Preferred Due Date Align the billing due date with your payday. It may be possible, depending on your account status and specific situation. Please call us at (800) 227-9187 to find out more.
Senior/Disabled Rate Discount for income qualified Washington residential customers
Avista partners with community action agencies to deliver this program to senior (60+ years) and those receiving disability income in our Washington service area. Please contact your local community action agency to see if you qualify and enroll.
Educational workshops teach how to conserve and use energy efficiently. They're available throughout our Washington and Idaho service territories September through March each year, at senior nutrition meal sites, senior centers, and non-profit organizations.
Each attendee receives an energy conservation kit that includes home weatherizing supplies and energy savings ideas to use in their home. The free workshops focus on how to stay comfortable and safe while managing energy use.
If you would like to schedule an event for your group, please contact Avista Outreach at (509) 495-8500 or send an email.
- Federal Earned Income Tax Credit If you worked last year, you may qualify. You can also get free tax preparation to help file for it. See if you qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit and find free tax preparation assistance in your area.
- Free and confidential information and referral Get help with your food, housing, employment, health care, counseling, and more through local 2-1-1