Integrated Resource Planning
Planning is integral to everything we do at Avista, and it is especially important in determining how to meet the future energy needs of our customers. Central to this effort is a process called the Integrated Resource Plan, or IRP. You can think of the IRP as a roadmap for how we will meet the energy needs of our electric and natural gas customers 20 years into the future.
Having a diverse energy mix is the foundation of Avista's ability to provide our customers with clean, reliable power at fair, reasonable rates. Our diversified energy portfolio ensures we have a stable supply of power around the clock, every day of the year, today and into the future.
As a regulated utility, Avista files an electric IRP in odd years with the public utility commissions in Washington and Idaho. In even years, we file a natural gas IRP with the public utility commissions in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon.
An important part of both the electric and natural gas IRP process is public involvement. Two key opportunities for public involvement are through the Technical Advisory Committee, or TAC, and the public comment period.
The TAC is committee of stakeholders who meet to review specific issues and aspects of the IRP. During this approximately 18-month process, the electric IRP TAC and the natural gas TAC each meet six times in Spokane, with each meeting being an intensive, full-day session. To encourage participation in the TACs by a diverse group of representatives, participation can be via conference call.
When the respective IRPs have been drafted, the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission, Idaho Public Utilities Commission, and Public Utility Commission of Oregon will each hold open comment periods when the public is invited to review the plan and provide comments to the respective agencies.
Avista submitted the 2020 Electric IRP to the Idaho Commission on February 28, 2020. The 2021 Electric IRP process will start in the summer of 2020. If you are interested in joining the TAC and participating in the development of the 2021 IRP, please email John Lyons or contact him at (509) 495-8515. You can also contact him with questions about previous IRPs.
- TAC 1 (PDF)
- TAC 2: Thursday, August 6, 2020 (Joint with Natural Gas TAC)
- TAC 3: Tuesday, September 29, 2020
- TAC 4: Tuesday, November 17, 2020
- TAC 5: Thursday, January 21, 2021
- Public Outreach Meeting: February 2021
2017 Integrated Resource Plan
2015 Integrated Resource Plan
- 2015 Electric Integrated Resource Plan (PDF)
- 2015 Electric IRP Appendix A - TAC Presentations (PDF)
- 2015 Electric IRP Appendix B - Work Plan (PDF)
- 2015 Electric IRP Appendix C - AEG Studies (PDF)
- 2015 Electric IRP Appendix D - Avista Generation Energy Efficiency Studies (PDF)
- 2015 Electric IRP Appendix E - Transmission Studies (PDF)
2013 Integrated Resource Plan
- 2013 Electric Integrated Resource Plan (PDF)
- 2013 Electric Integrated Resource Plan Appendices (PDF)
2011 Integrated Resource Plan
2009 Integrated Resource Plan
2007 Integrated Resource Plan
2005 Integrated Resource Plan
2003 Integrated Resource Plan
2001 Integrated Resource Plan
- 2001 IRP Document (PDF)
1997 Integrated Resource Plan
1995 Integrated Resource Plan
1993 Integrated Resource Plan
1991 Integrated Resource Plan
- 1991 IRP Document (PDF)
1989 Integrated Resource Plan
- 1989 IRP Document (PDF)
Direct questions to Clint Kalich, Avista's Manager of Resource Planning and Power Supply Analysis.
The 2018 natural gas IRP was filed on August 31, 2018. If you or your organization would like to participate in the process for the 2020 IRP, or be included in our Technical Advisory Committee mailing list, please email Tom Pardee or contact him by phone at (509) 495-2159.
2020 Natural Gas IRP
- Work Plan for Avista's 2020 Natural Gas IRP
- TAC 1: Wednesday, June 17, 2020: TAC meeting expectations, 2020 IRP process and schedule, energy efficiency update, actions from 2018 IRP, and a Winter of 2018-2019 review. Procurement Plan and Resource Optimization benefits. fugitive Emissions, Weather Analysis, Weather Planning Standard
- TAC 2: Thursday, August 6, 2020: Market Analysis, Price Forecasts, Cost Of Carbon, demand forecasts and CPA results from AEG, Environmental Policies
- TAC 3: Wednesday, September 30, 2020: Distribution, Avista’s current supply-side resources overview, supply side resource options, renewable resources, overview of the major interstate pipelines and projects, and sensitivities and portfolio selection modeling. Stochastic Modeling Overview
- TAC 4: Wednesday, November 18, 2020: Review assumptions and action items, final modeling results, portfolio risk analysis and 2020 Action Plan.
- TAC 5: February 2021: TAC final review meeting (if necessary)
2018 Natural Gas IRP
- Work Plan for Avista's 2018 Natural Gas IRP (PDF)
- TAC 1: Thursday, January 25, 2018 (PDF)
- TAC 2: Thursday, February 22, 2018 (PDF): Weather analysis, supply-side resources overview, overview of the major interstate pipelines, and the procurement plan.
- TAC 3: Thursday, March 29, 2018 (PDF): Distribution, environmental policies, market dynamics, price forecasts, cost of carbon, and initial modeling results.
- TAC 4: Thursday, May 10, 2018 (PDF): DSM results, stochastic modeling and supply-side options, final portfolio results, and 2020 Action Items.
2018 Natural Gas IRP
2016 Natural Gas IRP
2014 Natural Gas IRP
2012 Natural Gas IRP
2009 Natural Gas IRP
2007 Natural Gas IRP
2006 Natural Gas IRP
If you have questions about these plans, please contact Tom Pardee by email or at (509) 495-2159.