There aren't many home improvement decisions you can make that are as easy as the choice for natural gas. Natural gas is efficient, affordable, and environmentally-friendly. It's also convenient and reliable, providing warm, even heat and consistent hot water when you need it. Natural gas can make your home more inviting and comfortable and now is the perfect time to make the switch.
For more information on the benefits of natural gas or to obtain natural gas service please call us at (877) 427-8326 (877-GAS-TEAM).
Line Excess Allowance Program
Cash in on savings when you switch to natural gas
If you're a Washington homeowner converting to natural gas, we have a program that may help you pay for the cost of purchasing and installing new natural as equipment — no matter what fuel you're currently using to heat your home. You don't even have to be an Avista customer.
The Washington Line Excess Allowance Program (LEAP):
- Provides residential customers with an “allowance” of $4,482 to help pay for the cost of connecting to our natural gas system.*
- If the cost to connect to our system is less than the allowance amount, the excess remaining may be applied toward the purchase and installation of a new, high-efficient (90% AFUE or greater) natural gas furnace or boiler, and/or a new natural gas water heater.
- Available to Avista's electric customers as well as homeowners who are not an Avista customer (Washington only, some restrictions apply).
*This program is not available for new construction.
Interested? For more information, please call (877) 427-8326 (877-GAS-TEAM).
Natural gas service and tools
An excess flow valve (EFV) is a device that automatically closes and restricts the flow of natural gas if an underground pipe is broken, completely cut, or torn apart. Such damage may result from excavation or digging. However, an EVF does not shut off the flow of natural gas completely and the best way to protect against such incidents is to ensure that anyone excavating on your property has called 811 to have all underground utility lines properly marked before digging. Anyone performing excavation is responsible for immediately contacting Avista to report any damage to natural gas facilities.
It is important to note the following information about EFVs:
- Installation of an EFV will not protect against customer appliance malfunction, customer houseline natural gas leaks, small natural gas service line punctures, or natural gas meter leaks.
- EFVs are not suitable for all applications.
- An EFV may not protect against damage to natural gas service lines from earthquakes or flooding.
The EFV is installed underground on the service pipeline that runs between the natural gas main (usually located in or near the street, alley, or easement) and the Avista meter on the customer’s property. Generally, the EFV is installed as close as possible to the natural gas main. In some instances the location may need to be installed further from the natural gas main to accommodate interference from other buried structures. EFVs may only be installed on Avista’s natural gas pipe by Avista employees or its approved contractors for safety reasons.
EFV’s have been installed on most new and replaced natural gas customer services since 2008, however, beginning on April 14, 2017, existing natural gas customers without an EFV on their natural gas service may elect to have one installed at the customer’s request and expense. Installation costs vary greatly due to different conditions within our service territory. Customers will be billed for actual labor and materials costs associated with the installation. Estimates for cost and time frame for construction will be provided as requested on a case-by-case basis. There is no ongoing maintenance cost for the customer.
Installation feasibility will be based on a site visit by an Avista Customer Project Coordinator. If the installation is feasible, then the EFV installation will be made within a mutually agreeable time.
If you would like to pursue having an EFV installed in your service line or if you would like to find out if you already have an EFV, please call us at (800) 227-9187 or email email@example.com.